Brewer Offord & Pedersen LLP represent individual homeowners and HOA in CC&R’s disputes.
- Lack of uniformity in the enforcement of rules: All homeowners are equal, but as in George Orwell’s “Animal Farm,” some may be more equal than others in the eyes of the homeowners’ association.
- Conversions of apartments into condominiums: I usually represent tenants who are opposed to the conversion.
- Unfair assessments: Homeowners associations may issue large assessments to replace siding, roofing or do other repairs. Sometimes these assessments can be large enough to wipe out homeowners.
- Personal injury: The homeowners’ association has a duty of due care for maintenance of common areas. If you are injured due to a dangerous property condition, you can sue the HOA just as you would an owner of real property.
- Excessive use of property: Parking a big rig on a residential street and having 30 people live in a home are examples of overuse.